During this A to Z month, I've written about what I'm interested in and what makes me happy. Now, towards the end, I want to devote this post to 'you'.
Caring about yourself and caring for yourself are not selfish acts. You are the most important person in your life, and the better you do and feel, the more you can give to others - whether it's love, friendship, time, attention or even money.
Therefore, I want to encourage you to take some you-time this weekend. I'm sure you deserve it.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Plan a trip. It doesn't have to be long, far, or expensive. Alone, if you prefer, or with the people you would most like to spend time with.
- Read a book you've wanted to read for a long time. Switch off your phone & computer and let everyone around you know you're not to be disturbed. If your home is too busy, take your book to a coffee house, tearoom, bar or park.
- Do something that makes you laugh.
(Watching Blackadder episodes works for me.)
- Take a walk to a nice spot nearby and spend some time there, enjoying the view.
- Open a good bottle of wine or champagne and savour every sip.
- Get your hair done, enjoy a massage, a pedicure if you're on your feet all day, or a couple of hours of pampering at a spa.
- Sign up for yoga, cooking or foreign language classes, learn to paint, or join a choir or a book club.
- Call a friend and arrange to meet up for dinner.
- Make a list of what you'd want to do if you had no 'have-tos'. Then do at least one of the items on your list.
- Put on a cd you love, sit or lie down, close your eyes and listen. (Or dance.)
- If you have pets, play with them. If you have a dog, take him/her out for a walk and pretend it's the other way round.
- Think about what you most dislike about your life and think up all kinds of crazy and creative ways to solve that problem. Who knows, you might come up with a real solution, and if not, you'll at least have smiled.
- Remind yourself that you don't have to wait until later to live the life you want.
What do you do when you need time for yourself?
Image: 'Photographing Friends Is Too Much Fun! - Day 4' by Sleeping Sun. Available under a creative commons license. © 2010, Sleeping Sun.