6 Apr 2011

E is for England.

I've always had a thing for England. I can't pinpoint why, but it feels like my second home. My novel is set in England as well, in the beautiful Cotswolds. It was the perfect place for my story to come to life.

I often wonder where my fascination with England and the English language comes from. It might be due to its rich literature, the clever sense of humour, the quaint cosiness of English villages and landscapes, or even its quirky island culture.

England is a land of paradoxes:
  • where pudding isn't necessarily pudding
  • where the left side is the right one
  • where people will apologise when you're the one bumping into them
  • and where politeness is key but it's okay to ask a waiter whether he has 'Spotted Dick' for you.

England is one of my favourite travel destinations. Through the years, I've met amazing people there and discovered fascinating cities and beautiful countryside.

Today I want to share a few of my favourite travel memories.


Landscape in the Northern Cotswolds. July 2009.


Rollright Stones. October 2009.


Alma de Cuba, Liverpool. June 2006. It's a church that's been converted
into a great bar and restaurant.


Photographers at the British Museum, London. November 2004.


Borwick Hall, Lancashire. July 2009.


Lancashire scenery, August 2009.


Pond, Cotswolds. September 2009.
♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

14 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful! Thank you for sharing those pictures. My sister has lived in London for two years, and I was just to see her in February. I've not yet made it out to the countryside but now I MUST get that on my to-do list for the next trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can make it to the Cotswolds, I can highly recommend it. It's only about 1,5 hours from London and there's so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Lancashire photo with the stone bridge. I've only been to London, but I'd love to go back and visit the countryside. Maybe some day soon, fingers crossed.

    Thanks for the calorie-free post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful E and love your photos and reasons for enjoying England

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what wonderful pictures! I've always wanted to visit England . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do the greens seem so much greener?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love England and your photos were downright painterly. What a treat to join you there!
    aloha
    Toby
    http://www.tobyneal.net/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures, and I simply love your bullet points :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. England is beautiful, and so are your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @L.G.: you're welcome :-) There will be no calories in at least the next 2 posts either ;-)

    @Stratoz: Thanks :-) (and your E has inspired me to make a Spanish tortilla - it's almost ready now!)

    @C R: It's such a beautiful country. So are Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, so when you manage to visit England, it's well worth making a grand tour of the island!

    @mybabyjohn: the rain, I'm sure :-)

    @Toby: Thanks! Painterly, I love the word :-) I'm really enjoying your blog, by the way.

    @damyantiwrites: Thank you! :-) Interesting choice of D and E prompts over at your blog, by the way.

    @Alison: thanks, and it sure is. There's so much to discover in our part of the world, as in any other, of course. Never enough time to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen, great to meet you here as well! Are you coming over for business or pleasure/leisure?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures. I spent a year and a half in France, but never made it to England. It's a place I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your E is for England! Such lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Shelli: ah, France, still my favourite wine country :-)

    @Joyce: thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...