13 May 2011

Lucky 13: Women Writers about Life.


"I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it."
- Maya Angelou

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
- Anaïs Nin

"Perhaps we are in this world to search for love, find it and lose it, again and again. With each love, we are born anew, and with each love that ends we collect a new wound. I am covered with proud scars."
- Isabel Allende

"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet."
- Emily Dickinson

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all."
- Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

"I knew it like destiny, and at the same time, I knew it as choice."
- Jeanette Winterson

"What am I living for and what am I dying for are the same question."
- Margaret Atwood

"Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining."
- Anne Lamott

"Ah! The terror and the delight of that moment when first we fear
ourselves! Until then we have not lived."
- Willa Cather

"So much working, reading, thinking, living to do! A lifetime is not long enough."
- Sylvia Plath

"I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here."
- Lauren Myracle

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
- Maya Angelou

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
- Mary Oliver

--------
Image : 'Women on holiday' by Sweet Chi. Available under a creative commons license. © 2011, Sweet Chi.
♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

10 comments:

  1. I think I love this post. :)

    Ha! And that picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anne: thanks, I thought so too. :-)

    @L.G.: Great picture, isn't it. :-) Life, more or less as we know it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture is fabulous. What a great way to end a long week and Friday. It's been a tough one- so inspirational words have been a help today. To the 13!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Great quotes and awesome picture. So glad I found your blog.

    ~Tracy
    www.evolvingsoul11.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quotes. I collect them but these are new to me, so thank you. Think my favourite is the second last (Maya Angelou) - she said so many wise things.

    One I like is from Gladys Taber: "We need time to dream, time to remember, and time to reach the infinite. Time to be."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these quotes!

    I'm not even going to ask who the women are in the photo, I'd rather imagine they're a group of women writers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sara: I love that picture as well. :-) To the 13th indeed. Great site you have, btw. I love Italy. :-)

    @Tracy Jo: Thanks! :-) Such an inspirational blog you have!

    @Rosemary: I love that Gladys Taber quote. Thank you so much! :-) (and yes: Maya Angelou is fabulous, in so many ways.)

    @C R: I have no idea who they are, so I'll second your suggestion. They seem to have that particular mixture of cheekiness, wit and a certain obliviousness to the world around them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful selection of quotes. I especially like:

    "I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here."
    - Lauren Myracle

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE! Especially the quote by Margaret Atwood. She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Donna: yes, there's a certain grown-up Alice in Wonderland quality to that one. :-)

    @Talli: I agree; she's amazing. Yet another great Canadian export product/person. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...