6 Mar 2011

From Basil to Bottle Bondage.


With spring so close, it's time to start thinking about the garden. I'm a city dweller, but we're lucky to have a patch of land to grow things.

Most of it is taken up by a herb garden. I love cooking as well as pottering around, which makes growing herbs and using them for food, drinks, cosmetics and medicinal concoctions the perfect hobby for me. I trained as a herbalist many years ago, and even though I've never practised it professionally, I still like to put those skills to good use.

Recently, inspired by sites like Urban Gardens and You Grow Girl, I've started thinking about time- and space-efficient ways of growing our own food, even - or especially - when living in a city.

Yesterday, I've worked on an urban gardening experiment of my own: trying to grow basil upside down.

I've killed a lot of basil plants in the past. They don't like to grow in open ground here, and on top of that, as soon as I plant them out, the local slugs gather en masse, conquer any defences I've provided and raze my brave little basil babies to the ground.

Well, not this time. They can besiege all they want, seize they will not.

Hopefully the basil will live happily ever after, at least until I appear with eager scissors. Snip snip!


Any gardening tips and tricks? Share them in the comments!

♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...