22 Sept 2010

In the beginning there was ... Eve.

It had been a while since I'd been touched to the core of my heart and soul.

I'm lying. I recently got married and that was pretty intense. And we had a wonderful honeymoon. But even throughout events as special and unique and magical as those, my inner cynic still reared its ice-cold head. I'm sure that's healthy, and it was okay – it didn't ruin anything.

But that's not what I want to write about right now. Maybe later.

I was referring to a video I found a few weeks ago. It was one of the TED talks. (http://www.ted.com/) If you're not familiar with them, they're really worth checking out. The TED website is one of the most inspiring places on the Web, and it's easy to get lost there for days.

This talk was by Eve Ensler, the woman who created the Vagina Monologues. Her entire presentation was very inspirational, but I could watch most of it with the touched-but-still-semi-detached interest that seems to come naturally when I'm just browsing and run into something that stands out. Until about 16 minutes into the presentation, where she stood up and started reading a part from her newest book, called "I am an emotional creature."

The initial vicarious embarassment at seeing a woman I have a lot of respect for throw open the doors to her heart, lasted but a few seconds. What she said, and how she said it, hit home. It takes a remarkable woman to do what she does, with such power and conviction.

Later that night, I had one of my best friends over and showed her the video. We both cried, again. However, it was the kind of crying that we probably don't get to do often enough. The kind that makes you feel stronger, the kind that feeds and inspires.

It was the kick in the butt I needed to get this blog started. It all started with Eve. Quod erat demonstrandum.

If you have 20 minutes to spare, here's Eve's talk:


♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

2 comments:

  1. Oh KC why do you keep hitting it on the nail. I was starting to write - or as it went today, spout off - and took a breather to read other blogs including this, and girl i am with you on Eve. i got to see her at the women's conference a month before this video you played and with 10,000 women calling out 'i LOVE bein' a girl' it was spiritual. http://www.ecogrrl.net/2009/10/womens-conferenceinitial-peek.html is one of my posts on it and if you go into the comments, i have a link to the actual webcast of it :)

    thank you for all you write and do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time at the conference and what a lovely article! Thanks for the inspiration and support. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...