10 Oct 2010

Cider, sushi and Sunday aperitifs.

Another lovely sunny day today, which I wanted to celebrate with a healthy pre-dinner drink, especially after last night's (Somerset) cider tasting.

Two dear friends had got us the ciders (3 kinds: Cox's, medium dry and oak matured), and after a bit of doubt what food we'd pair them with, we decided on sushi.
 
I tried to make sushi for the first time about a year ago, and found out that - once you get the hang of it - it's not really that hard.

Of course I wouldn't compare mine to anything made by a real sushi chef, but for 'regular home consumption' they're pretty good.

On top of that they're fun to experiment with, they're healthy, made with a variety of good quality fresh ingredients ánd my immediate environment loves them, which is what matters most, really.

Pairing sushi with those exquisite ciders was a bit of an experiment, but we were surprised at how well it worked. Definitely something we'll be doing again!

But this morning I felt like a healthy, refreshing, sugar- and alcohol-free aperitif, so I decided to go for one of my (as yet unnamed) classics. Name suggestions are always welcome, by the way.

Here's how to make it:

  1. Take a long-drink glass
  2. Add an ice-cube if you want (I would do this in summer, I didn't now)
  3. Add a splash of grapefruit juice
  4. Add a splash of lemon (or lime) juice
  5. Top up with sparkling water
  6. If you have a sweet tooth: add a bit of natural sweetener. (I use stevia).
  7. Stir and taste if it needs more grapefruit, lime or sweetener
  8. Add a splash of carrot juice for the taste and the orange gradient effect.
(Use freshly squeezed juices if possible, but bottled will do, as long as it's got no added sugar. You don't need a lot of juice, it's just a bit for the taste and the colour, so this drink isn't high in fructose either.)

Enjoy!
♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...